Monday 21 September 2009

The story so far

Well, where to start.
I am well over 40 now and no one wants to listen to my whole life story.
So here are the relevant bits.
At the age of 11 I discovered Marc Bolan and decided I wanted to be a pop star.
After Marc died in 1977, I got into the punk scene and moved to London. I tried to form groups but have always been a bit of a loner when it comes to work, so decided to work alone. I then became influenced by the early 80s electronic music such as Soft Cell, Human League and Depeche Mode as well as others and quickly put together a backing tape and started performing.
My first performance was in a wine bar near to Holborn tube station; I was determined to do it in style and spent my last £15 on a bottle of champagne. The weekly poetry and music club was run by my good friend Steev Burgess, and he put me top of the bill. The champagne worked, I did four songs and was very well received by the audience of mainly follow artists.
My performing career lasted 3 years with varying degrees of success, I am a shy person and needed a few drinks to get up on stage, and this didn’t help.
Musically I was working totally alone, there was no web to give advice, no tutorials and very little in the way of a support network for people working with sequencers and drum machines. I may not have had the sophisticated studio technology of Human League but considered myself a pioneer in a certain type of music.
My first single was released in June 1984, I am not naive and never expected a hit record, I just wanted one or two favourable reviews to help me get better gigs and perhaps get my money back, however fate wasn’t kind, a large part of music press went on strike and I didn’t get one review.
I then started visiting Ibiza and the record was given some attention by the radio there, this was a consolation prize.
Up until that point I had been working in part time jobs, living in a bedsit in Kensington. Now however I was in debt, I had borrowed money from friends and family to make the single and now had to pay it back. I had been in this bedsit for 5 years and needed something better. The worst thing that could have happened, happened, I had to get a proper job.
Now I was upwardly mobile, and it was nice having money, holidays, I got a nice flat and my interest in music was neglected as I got a career.
I never wanted to be a financial management consultant..... I wanted to be a lumberjack, sorry , a pop star.
In 2001 taking advantage of rising property prices I sold up in London and moved to Ibiza (my other passion), but carried on working from Ibiza, and in 2006. I sold up again. (pre subprime hehehe) and moved to Buenos Aires, where I now live a simple life but do not have the constraints of work.
Now I am too old and not pretty enough to be a pop star, but I still have to box in my head that needs to be ticked.
So now I have recently started my music again.
Times have changed a lot, and sequencers are housing in computers not in silver boxes, so I’ve had to re learn a lot.
My plan is to make an album, my current musical interests are consistent with what they were in 1984, electronic dance orientated. I have lived in Ibiza so hopefully have some feel for this music.
I expect to have some material by the end of 2010.
I was never a strong vocalist and was always a nervous performer so I will be looking for vocals at some point.
But for now in studying technique and technology and writing songs. I plan to have a selection of about 20 songs before working in more depth on the best.
I plan to update this weekly, however I won’t be putting any new music out until it sounds 100% professional. My 1984 single “No Motion” and the B side “Click” is available on I tunes.

http://www.discovolanteonline.com

1 comment:

  1. thank for sharing your story! you are a true artist! :-)

    ReplyDelete